Monday, February 22, 2010

The end of an era.....

Well, the time has come for me to stop breastfeeding. Yes, its a little sad but I just can't really help it. Sometimes, for some people, the supply just starts to run out and the costs become way heavier than the benefits. Unfortunately, that's what happened to me.

Bridget has always been a breastmilk/formula girl since the beginning due to nursing issues and she's been happy with that. She's stayed very healthy, had a great sleeping schedule, a wonderful disposition, and everything I could ask for. I stuck out the pumping even after she weaned herself off the "real thing" around Christmas time. She just never totally took to nursing and though I tried and tried, it just wasn't our thing.

We've done our bonding in other ways and I feel 100% fulfilled with our special mommy/daughter relationship. Now that this chapter of mommyhood is closed (well, until Baby #2), I will happily offer my opinion and experience to other new mommies (those who ask, of course!) should this situation arise for them. So many people out there will try to make you feel guilty for not breastfeeding but really, a healthy and happy baby AND a healthy and happy Mommy (who can be at her best for baby) are the most important.

And can I even describe the freedom I feel now that I don't have to lug the pump bag around? Don't think so. To and from school, on the airplane, when I'm out all day...blah! Loved that thing, though. Really is worth every penny.

2 comments:

  1. nursing (esp the pump) = the ol' ball & chain

    stopping was sad and joyful all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete