Saturday, January 30, 2010

Vegetarian Taco Pie

Thanks to Meredith for this delicious recipe (I think I liked it even more than Jonathan did!). It was very easy to make, inexpensive, and customizable to what your family may prefer most. Jonathan just mentioned not loving the corn in there (though corn is his favorite veggie) because the consistency of the corn was not complementary to the other mix-ins...whatever...he's weird. I thought the corn was excellent in this.
I hope you like it!

Taco Pie

1 box Jiffy
Ingredients for Jiffy corn bread
Taco Seasoning
1 package Morningstar Veggie Ground Beef (I forgot to buy this, but thankfully I had a package of SmartFood Ground Beef and it worked fine)
Mix-ins, drained (I used corn, black beans, white kidney beans on Meredith's recommendation and also added diced tomatoes)
shredded cheese

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Prepare Jiffy mix in bowl as directed and set aside
3. Brown veggie meat in skillet and mix taco seasoning and 2/3 c water until all water is fully mixed in
4. Spray 13 x 9 baking dish with PAM and pour in drained mix-ins (I liked the layering idea, so I went with that and put meat, tomatoes, white beans, corn and then black beans)
5. Cover with cheese
6. Drop spoonfulls of cornbread mix on top and then spread with rubber spatula until fully covered (this WAS tough! I wonder if a wet spatula would have worked better).

7. Bake 15-20 minutes or until cornbread is just golden.

8. Cool 10 minutes and serve. We added a Southwestern Salad as a side and it was awesome!

Penny had fun making it with me :)

1 comment:

  1. I love that you're sharing all of your great recipes -- thanks, friend!

    ReplyDelete